Navbar

Image Map

Friday, October 18, 2013

Keto Kitchen Scissors Meal

ImageLast night I was tired, cranky, and HUNGRY.  You can see the barely restrained annoyance in my eyes.  Below is one of my favorite quick and easy meals to make when I feel gross.  I have gained a lot of weight since getting married in April.  The term is apparently the "Newlywed Nine," but for me it's more like "Nineteen."  Ugh.  So I am back on the ketogenic diet (the same diet Eleni's husband is on).  This is a great, low-carb/high fat recipe.  My own, non-dieting bear of a husband also enjoys this recipe -- mostly because it is filling, fast to make, and you only need one pan and a pair of kitchen scissors to cook the whole shebang.
Unlike you, Eleni, I'm not one for precise measurements in recipes -- I usually eyeball everything.  Bear took pictures for me, so you can best get an idea of how to make this meal, or some variation thereof!
Image
Here's what you need to get started:
  • one large, boneless chicken breast (or you can use any type of meat)
  • 4 slices thick cut bacon
  • unsalted butter (I really like Kerrygold!)
  • parmesan cheese (you can really use any cheese you like...I ususally like FETA (duh!), but all we had in the fridge was the parmesan)
  • spinach (I use frozen because it's faster)
  • 2 to 4 eggs
  • your favorite spices
  • something to drink to become less cranky (I had a refreshing white wine spritzer!)
Image
Step one is to put your pan on medium-high heat and, once the pan is hot, use your kitchen scissors to cut the bacon into small strips.  Let the bacon fry up for a bit, but don't let it become too crispy.
photo (5)
Once the bacon is all cut up and mostly cooked, start snipping pieces of chicken into the pan wth your kitchen scissors.  The snipping goes fast and is quite entertaining!  Once the chicken has started to cook, turn frequently so none of the meat burns.
photo (4)
Once your bacon and chicken are nice and cooked, add your spinach and butter (I like a lot of butter, at least 2 tablespoons.  You can add to your taste, but at least enough to coat the bottom of the pan for later).  Mix everything together and turn the heat down to medium.
photo (3)
While your mishmosh mixture heats in the pan, take a big swig of your calming beverage and then crack your eggs into a mixing bowl.  The combination of alcohol and breaking things should be soothing!  Add parmesan cheese and whatever herbs/spices/make-taste-good things you would like.  Beat all of this together with a whisk or fork (if you're REALLY talented, you can just use your kitchen scissors!).
photo (2)
Now pour your egg mixture evenly on your mishmosh.  I try to coat the whole bottom of the pan (which is what that butter was for).  Let sit until you see the egg mixture bubble and solidify along the sides of the pan.
photo (1)
With your spatula, move all the mixture into the center from the outside of the pan.  I try not to overcook the egg and instead let the egg lend the dish more of a congealing function. In other words, the whole thing ends up less like an omelette and more like the yummy center of a spanakopita.
photo
And here's the finished product!  I sprinked a little more parmesan and some cayenne pepper on top to finish.  It was a delightful meal -- and wiped away all my grouchiness!
-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment