Navbar

Image Map

Friday, October 18, 2013

Keto "I Need to Go Grocery Shopping" Bacon Broccoli Soup

I'm a pretty lazy person but I'm tired of being pudgy, so I'm doing the keto diet and trying to eat healthy.  The other night Bear and I were feeling peckish, lazy, and cheap.  Take-out was out of the question, but so was leaving the apartment to go to the grocery store.  So I rummaged through our sparsely stocked refrigerator and came up with this fast and easy recipe!
Ingredients
All ingredients, as per usual, were eye-balled and tweaked to me and Bear's taste.
  • 4 strips bacon
  • some end pieces of gourmet cheese (I forget what kind...Bear would kill me...) from Murray's Cheese Shop
  • beef stock
  • 1 container frozen chopped broccoli
  • Kerrygold unsalted butter
  • tablespoon of mayonnaise
  • garlic pieces
  • salt, cayenne pepper, onion powder to taste
BACONNN
First I fried up my bacon to a medium crispy state...do NOT get this too crispy unless you like having to chew creamy soup!
image_2
Then, in my awesome Ninja blender, I put about 2 cups of beef broth, cheese, the broccoli, butter (about 3 tablespoons worth), mayo, garlic pieces, and the cooked bacon WITH the bacon grease.  You gotta get that good fat on keto!
image_3Ninja the hell out of the whole thing!
image_4The result will be kind of clumpy, but that's okay because you are going to let it cook for about 10-15 minutes on medium heat.  The cheese and butter will fully melt, and everything will get nice and mixed.
image_5
After 10-15 minutes, your soup should be nice and frothy.  Put the heat down to low, and stir for a couple of minutes.  This will ensure that the butter, cheese, and bacon grease doesn't separate from the broccoli puree and broth.
image_6Take that frothy, fatty goodness and put it right back into your Ninja for a good, thorough blending.
image_7Told you I was lazy!  I try to use the least amount of dishes I possibly can.  In this case, all I used was a saucepan and the Ninja.  I just poured the soup directly from the Ninja into the bowls...soon after, right into my face.
image_8Because I like to spice things up, I added a little bit of cayenne pepper on top.  Voila!  A delicious snack/meal -- snack if you eat just one bowl, meal if you eat a couple (guess what me and Bear did?).
Laziness yields success sometimes!
-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment