Navbar

Image Map

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Homemade Chicken and Veggie Soup (Keto/Low-Carb Friendly)

Yesterday I was sick. I woke up and wanted nothing more than to curl back under the covers and die. But, alas, I have a little one to play with all day, and a house to clean in anticipation for opening my home daycare (I cannot put into words how excited and nervous I am!!). Sore throat, headache, body aches, the chills, yet no fever. I had no real appetite, which is insane, just ask my sisters. What could I eat at a time like this? Homemade chicken soup, of course!

This is very similar to the soup that our Yiayia and Papa Sid made us when we were sick. The one difference is they would both add rice. Obviously that doesn't work for our keto household, so I left it out. I'll write an option for it if you would like rice in your soup.

Homemade Chicken and Veggie Soup (Greek Style)

  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 of a medium onion, finely diced
  • 2 chicken breasts 
  • 4 chicken bouillon cubes 
  • 8 cups water 
  • 1 cup of celery, sliced 
  • 1 cup of carrots, sliced 
  • Optional: 1/2 cup rice. I prefer brown rice, but don't use rice when Hubster will be eating it


  1. In a large pot, drizzle a bit of olive oil. On medium heat, sauté onions until translucent. 
  2. Add chicken breasts, bouillon cubes, and water to the pot. Bring mixture to a roiling boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes. Optional:if you are adding rice, add it to the pot now.
  3. Uncover, pull chicken breasts out of pot, and cut into small pieces, or shred. Whichever you prefer. I used kitchen shears and cut the chicken up to my liking. 

  4. Add chicken back to the pot. Add carrots and celery to the pot. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until veggies are tender, but not mushy. 
  5. Remove from heat and enjoy your lovely cold weather comfort food. 

This soup turned out great! In the past, I have had a hard time seasoning soup well enough, but the bouillon, chicken, and veggies add great flavor. Hubster is usually critical of my soup (he has been such a trooper with my experiments!) and he loved this soup. T-Rex really enjoyed it too! We ate the soup along with cheese quesadillas and it was quite the yummy combination. It had me feeling much better on this yucky, sick day. 




I hope this soup brings you comfort as it did for me! Feel free to comment and let us know how you are liking the recipes!! Until next time. 

Φιλάκια, 
Eleni

No comments:

Post a Comment