Navbar

Image Map

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Eleni's Hump Day Recipe - Keto Breakfast Casserole

I have been doing a lot of cooking lately. I want to share some photos and recipes.

First is the AMAZING Jambalaya I made the other night. It is a slow cooker recipe, which makes me love it even more because I can throw it all in at the beginning of the day and it is done by dinner time. As delicious as this was, I cannot take credit for the recipe. I found it while browsing Pinterest. The original link is here.

Since we are a keto household, we did not use rice. I also did not add the cayenne pepper (I personally HATE spicy food) or Tabasco sauce (we didn't have any). It turned out great, though! I could barely wait for Hubster to get home so we could eat it. T-Rex enjoyed it, too! Especially the sausage.


Look at my pretty slow cooker! Functional and appealing to the eye! What could be better? 



I know what could be better! Breakfast for dinner! Which brings me to the second recipe: Keto Breakfast Casserole. Although I made this fresh for dinner, this is another recipe that you could prep ahead of time and just toss into the oven when you are ready. 

Keto Breakfast Casserole 
  • A medium head of cauliflower, chopped or "riced" (this will be the potatoes or hash in a normal casserole. If you do not do low-carb, you could do hash here instead)
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into slices
  • 1 lb. pork sausage 
  • Two large handfuls fresh spinach (or about 1 cup of frozen spinach, depending on what you have on hand) 
  • 8 eggs, beaten 
  • 1 block cheese, shredded (we used cheddar, but colby jack is another fav. Use whatever you like) 
  • Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste. 
1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Put cauliflower into 9x13 pan and cover with slices of butter. Season well.

2.) Place pan into oven and cook for 15 minutes.

  
3.) In a large skillet, brown and crumble the sausage. Once fully cooked, add spinach and cook until slightly wilted and a deep green color. While cooking, season well.
 
4.) Once cauliflower has cooked, remove pan and add sausage mixture on top of cauliflower. Next, evenly pour eggs over top of sausage. Cover casserole with shredded cheese. (Picture may not show even pouring. Hubster decided he wanted to help...)

 


5.) Bake casserole for 20 minutes. Remove, let cool about 5 minutes, and enjoy!


This was something I whipped up with what we had on hand. It turned out great! We all had multiple helpings, and the left-overs reheated well for lunch the next day. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Until next time. 

Φιλάκια, 
Eleni

1 comment:

  1. I do not understand your antipathy toward spicy food. I put hot sauce on EVERYTHING, lol. No hot sauce on jambalaya? HERESY!

    Can't wait to try the casserole...but I'm gonna add cayenne and liberal sprinklings of Tabasco! ;-)

    ReplyDelete