Navbar

Image Map

Friday, October 18, 2013

Personal Care with Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar

Somehow, in the millions of genetic combinations possible, even with the wonderful dominance of Greekness, my beautiful mother blessed me with her side's sensitive...everything. I have psoriasis, a yearly bout of eczema-like rash on my hands in the winter, and extremely dry, yet sensitive skin all around. At the same time, I try to be very conscious about the ingredients in the products I use.
Have any of you ever looked at the prices of the more natural or organic products out there? Burt's Bees, I have found, is one of the most affordable ones, but even their products are much pricier than what you can find easily at most stores. So, in my pursuit of natural care products, I have been experimenting with using baking soda and apple cider vinegar. I want to share what I have been using, because I have had some awesome results.
First, let's start with the face. I can't find a single face wash that does not completely dry out my T-zone (the t-shaped area of the face across the forehead and down the nose and chin). I have started using just baking soda and water as a sort of face scrub. All my spots have cleared up and I have no dryness in the T-zone! Sweet success!!
Baking Soda Face Scrub: 
  • About 1 T. Baking Soda 
  • Enough water to make a paste.
  1. Scrub all over your face. Rinse. Try not to get in or on your lips/mouth. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, after all, and is salty and yucky-tasting!

I follow up this scrub with a homemade Apple Cider Vinegar toner. I have stored this in a little labeled squeeze bottle. Honestly, it is the heaven-sent squeeze bottle they give you in the hospital after you have a baby. I promise that it is well washed!
Apple Cider Vinegar Toner:                                                                                                     
  • 1 part apple cider vinegar to 2 parts water  
  • Squeeze bottle or similar container for storage
  1. Use an 1/8 c. measuring cup to alternate 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water into your container until you container is full.
  2. After using your baking soda scrub, dab some toner onto a cotton ball or pad and apply a layer onto your face.

Seriously, my skin is loving this! I wish I would have tried this much sooner. I could have saved myself a lot of time, money, and zits.
I want to share the new regiment I have been using on my hair, but I have a T-Rex tugging on me and biting my typing hands. I suppose it will have to wait for another post. Until next time!
Φιλάκια, 
Eleni

No comments:

Post a Comment